Tips for Getting Through a Divorce With the Right Lawyer

Just Moved To A "No-Fault" Auto Insurance State? 2 Things You Need To Know Before You Suffer An Injury In An Auto Accident

If you just moved to a new state, then it is important to update your auto insurance policy to reflect your change in residence. If you found out that the new state you live in is a "no-fault" auto accident state, then it is important to learn all about no-fault auto accident law and how no-fault auto insurance works before you update your insurance policy. Performing the research now can alleviate a lot of stress and hassle later if you do get involved in a serious auto accident and wonder who to call and just what to do. 

Read on to learn two things you need to know about no-fault auto accident states. 

1. Your No-Fault Auto Insurance Policy Likely Only Covers Minor Injuries

It is important to realize that it is a common misconception that a driver's personal auto insurance policy will cover the cost of all of their medical expenses, auto repairs, and property damage if they are involved in an auto accident. Instead, most no-fault auto insurance policies in no-fault auto accident law states only cover the cost of medical attention for minor injuries. If you experience serious injury after an auto accident in your new state, then you will likely have to hire a car accident attorney to sue the at-fault driver for any medical expenses above and beyond what your insurance company will pay for. 

In some states, your auto insurance company will only cover the cost of your medical expenses up to a certain dollar amount, and this is called a "monetary threshold." For example, Kentucky law only mandates that your auto insurance company pay just $1,000 toward your medical expenses and any other expenses must be paid for by the at-fault driver. 

In other states, whether your no-fault auto insurance company has to cover the cost of your injuries depends on the injuries you suffer. If they meet the "serious injury" threshold, then you must take the at-fault driver to court to seek compensation for your medical bills. 

2. Three States Offer Residents a Choice in Their Auto Coverage

If you moved to Kentucky, New Jersey, or Pennsylvania, then realize that these are considered "choice" no-fault auto accident law states. In these states, you can choose whether to opt into the state's no-fault auto accident system or not, and you must make that choice when you purchase your auto insurance policy. Make sure you make this decision wisely, because you cannot change your mind once you have become involved in an auto accident. 

In Pennsylvania, you can opt out of the state's no-fault auto accident system by choosing an insurance policy called a full-tort policy, but if you would like to opt in, you choose a limited tort policy. If you choose a full-tort policy, then you are free to sue the at-fault driver of an auto accident you become injured in for compensation for your medical bills, pain and suffering, and lost wages. If you choose the limited tort policy, you are highly restricted on exactly what you are able to sue the at-fault driver for and cannot seek compensation for pain and suffering. Legal experts advise opting out of the no-fault system to make sure you are fully compensated for your injuries after an auto accident. 

If you live in any one of these states, then you may want to contact a local car accident lawyer before you choose your insurance policy to make sure you are choosing the policy that will benefit you most after an auto accident. 

If you just moved to a state with no-fault auto accident laws, then it is important to understand how your state's auto insurance and accident laws work before you choose your insurance policy. Keep these two tips in mind when making your choice and be sure to contact a car accident lawyer like Brownfield Law Office if you suffer injuries in an auto accident in any state.