What Are Some Common Federal Crimes?

Individuals charged with serious offenses will be prosecuted by either the state where the crime occurred or the federal government. The majority of crimes, such as robberies, assaults, and thefts are are handled by the state and prosecuted by a district attorney. Some serious crimes, however, fall under federal jurisdiction and are prosecuted in federal court. This article takes a look at some of the more common offenses that fall under the authority of the United States government.

How To Keep Your Children's Exes From Taking Their Inheritance

Although your children marry expecting to be with their spouses forever, there's a good chance the relationships will end in divorce, and there's a real risk your kids' exes will take some or all of their inheritance. If you want to ensure your children's spouses can't get their hands on any money or assets you leave your heirs, here are a couple of ways you can protect their inheritances. Ask for a Pre- or Post-Nuptial Agreement

Prescription Drugs That Can Lead To Permanent Disability

If you feel that your physician improperly prescribed a certain medication, or if he or she failed to monitor you for dangerous prescription drug side effects that resulted in a serious illness or disability, contact a medical malpractice law office, such as Lee Eadon Isgett Popwell & Owens. Doing so will help you determine if you should push forward with litigation against your physician, the pharmaceutical company, or the hospital where you were treated.

Stop Your Spouse From Taking Items From Your Home And Separate Marital Property

If your husband or wife moved out of the home that you shared as a couple and now is threatening to take some of the household items, it is in your best interest to seek legal counsel so that the situation can be brought to the attention of a judge. A judge will determine how the household goods will be separated and will prevent your spouse from taking anything that is not rightfully theirs.

Surgeries Resulting In Cases Of Necrotizing Fasciitis: Can You Sue?

Necrotizing fasciitis, also known as flesh-eating bacteria, is a rare occurrence. However, a fourth of all of the annual cases of this disease in the United States result in death. Some of these are caused by poor hospital conditions, unhygienic practices, and unsterilized medical equipment. If you recently had any sort of surgery which resulted in a case of flesh-eating bacteria or had a family member die as a result of contracting flesh-eating bacteria after a surgical procedure, you may be wondering if you can sue.

Think You're The Victim Of Medical Malpractice? What You Can Do About It

When you go to a medical professional, you basically put your life into their hands. Doctors and other people who work in the medical industry command a lot of respect from the general public. Their words are trusted, and their patients follow their orders usually without much thought. What happens when you suspect that you've been injured in some way by a doctor or other medical professional? You've thought it over and are convinced that you are the victim of medical malpractice.

3 Tactics To Help You Increase Your Personal Injury Settlement Offer

Being involved in a serious car accident can result in injuries that leave you in financial trouble. In addition to paying for medical expenses as you recover, you may find that you are unable to work as a result of your injuries so you don't have any money coming in. Filing a personal injury lawsuit can be a great way to access the financial help to which you are entitled. Many personal injury cases are settled out of court, and there are some simple tactics you can use to help increase the settlement offer extended to you by an insurance company.

Can You Move Out Of State With Children After A Divorce?

People, in general, are far more transient than what they have been in the past. Just because you build a life in one state does not always mean that you will live there for the rest of your life, which can pose problems if you marry someone, have children, and then get a divorce. The fact is, everything gets a little tricky if you need to move out of state, but especially if you have children you share with an ex-spouse who has some level of custody.

How Does Workers' Comp Handle Out-Of-State Injuries?

When you work and live in the same state, filing a workers' comp claim is fairly straightforward. However, things can become fairly complex pretty quickly if you work in a different state from where your company is located and are hurt on the job. Here are some issues you may encounter when filing a claim for an out-of-state injury with workers' comp. Coverage May Be Time-Restricted A common problem people who are injured while traveling for their jobs or working in out-of-state locations face is that the company's policy may limit how long coverage will apply to people working in extraterritorial areas.

Beyond Regular Workers' Compensation: Death Benefits

When workers are injured on the job, workers' comp provides that worker with several valuable benefits. When the worst happens and that worker actually passes away as a result of a workplace injury, there are also valuable benefits available to the worker's loved ones. Read on to learn more about what types of benefits are available and who is eligible to receive them. What Benefits are Available? Keeping in mind that every state has slightly different rules pertaining to death benefits, in most cases the eligible members of the deceased worker's family qualify to receive the same salary portion that hurt workers do.